Sunday, August 8, 2010

On to Colorado



Colorado relaxed begins today! Jack and I had a great week off preparing to do this all over again!

We kicked off our vacation week by riding the Gondola in Kellogg, Idaho to the top of the mountain. You have to understand that this was a big deal for me: I am kind of a scaredy cat when it comes to heights. Well, more than kind of. What I can say is that we made it to the top. I did not hyper-ventalate or cry. Well, almost. When we got to the top I told Jack there was no way in heck I was getting off and just turn this thing around and get me back down. It doesn't work that way. They made me get off!!! I cried. A little. We sat for awhile until my legs stopped shaking then boarded for the trip back down. Jack failed to tell me that I could arrange for a ride down with a park ranger. But, I am here to talk about it! Actually the ride down was gorgeous and not as scary as the trip up!

We took a couple of days to make our way to Colorado, then spent the week with friends Jack & Cori in Louisville. We got some riding in, a trip to Garden of the Gods, a long day up through Estes Park & the Rocky Mountain National Park, many visits to local brew pubs (there are a few!), and just hanging out. Recommended eats: the Old Louisville Inn, Oscar Blues in Lyons, Serious Texas Bar-B-Q in Loveland, and Marie's for breakfast in Boulder!

We spent yesterday out and about hunting for local produce. This area is huge on growing corn and organic vegetables. We found a farm outside of Boulder that supplied us with fresh picked corn, eggplants, (I got to hand pick them in the field!), patty pan, zucchini & crook neck squash, cucumbers & baby yellow potatoes. The farmers market in Louisville provided gorgeous organic fennel & watermelon to help feed the new tribe!

We are looking forward to a week on the trails in Colorado: the riding here is awesome as is the scenery. It takes a couple of days to acclimate to the altitude: I went out for a run the first morning here and thought I was going to die! But riding a couple of days later was no problem!
(While riding we encountered acres of prairie dogs: they are SO CUTE! I don't know why everyone calls them prairie rats!)

I will keep you posted on the tour: first three nights we'll be in Silverthorne for a couple of out and backs. Jack's granddaughter Jamie will be with us while we're here and we hope to spend some time riding with her! Then up and over Vail Pass.....we'll see you on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment