Friday, June 18, 2010

Over to the other side


Another great shot of Bryce Canyon!

Dinner last night, though late (the first time in the history of my bike tours), was a favorite for many of the tribe members. It is funny how comfort foods win out over gourmet creations most every time. Roast pork, mushroom gravy & potatoes. Yummmmm. But it seems that I can never have enough desserts! I thought the brownies we were baking for tonight would not see the light of day!

The tribe feasted on stuffed croissant french toast and scrambled eggs. Had to fuel them up for the long haul over Cedar Breaks. I think a few were pretty concerned about the ride. But, they have great weather compared to many past rides. It is sunny and the winds from the south west are predicted to ONLY be 25 mph. The will be a head wind going up and a cross wind going down. I am sure they will do fine. As I have said before: if I could ride it anyone can.

We have some very interesting people on this ride. I wish we had more time to get to know them! We have one lady that is a glass blower/artist from Sante Fe. It is such a small world: she studied at the Pilchuck glass studio not far from where I grew up. I would have been 14 at the time! Another woman rider is from Bellingham and just competed in the same sea to ski race that my son, Aaron, was in! It is a small world.

We are off to Cedar City: going around not over the Breaks. Too big a truck to be dodging riders. I will miss this part of the ride: it is a gorgeous route. The view from the top is stunning. We will be staying at a really cool bed & breakfast: Willow Glenn. It is an old horse ranch that has been converted to a B&B and a wedding facility. Beautiful gardens, all of the out buildings have been renovated into guest rooms. One suite has been built around a tree! If you plan a trip through the area I highly recommend Willow Glenn. (The tree house suite has a fabulous jacuzzi tub!)

One more dinner, breakfast and lunch and we head for home. It has been a fast and furious trip. Cycle Washington is coming up next: looking forward to seeing Kevin again, as well as Bob & Linda, Ranger Tommy & Sophia. The food will be the best! Peaches, apricots, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries are all at the peak of their season. Grilled oysters, steamed Penn Cove mussels, and manila clams will be on the menu at Bay View State Park. Fresh salmon from the Puget Sound as well. You don't want to miss this one!

Kevin will be leading Farm Fresh this year: if you want a great ride check it out! I am working on some amazing menus & wine parings. Tempting? For sure!

Will try to blog again before we head North. See you on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment