Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Last Three Days, Y'all!















Snacks!  They love the dates!
Scary electronics.
Our water stop guru giving directions to the "restroom", of sorts.
Our circus tent at Pedernales....where are the clowns?  Send in the clowns!
What a plate of food!
Jack's new apron....he has an attitude.
Our fearless leader, Greg, ready to take on the last map meeting.
The staff leading the sing along...and the words to the tune of "Let's go to Luckenbach Texas..."
A field of bluebonnets.
Pres. Johnson's boyhood school house.
Cool trees.
The goat on Johnson's farm wanted to eat my shoelaces.

I get so frustrated with technology...or the lack there of.  The wireless at the campground failed and I wasn't able to update my blog until Jack got home with the laptop and the big yellow truck.  ARGHH.

So, I need to catch you up on the last few days of our ride.  What a great time it was!
Wednesday was another layover day in Fredericksburg.  This was to be our ride day too....but the weather did not cooperate.  It was mega windy and the riders that headed out early to Enchanted Rock weren't quite so happy they did.  It is a tough ride to begin with, but with the wind it made it not too enjoyable.  Many chose to hang around town and explore the museums and  restaurants, or just hang out at camp.  We went in search of chicken fried steak and quilt shops.  I know, what a combination, but I have a weakness for both!  I have challenged myself to find the best chicken fried steak in Texas.  And LORD they have some good chicken fried steaks.  AND I found a chicken fried pork chop that was even better!  Oh I should weigh 300 pounds.  Jack says I am lucky to have the metabolism that I do.  YUMMMMM.  

Wednesday nights dinner was pasta with meat sauce, a pesto & artichoke sauce, baked polenta (this tribe is polenta happy) and salads.  

Thursday the weather shifted back to gorgeous and the tribe had the most beautiful ride day on the trip. Rolling hills and incredible fields of wild flowers.  We followed the tribe, with no off road mishaps this year, and enjoyed the flowers!  We stopped at the water stop to view the dent in the pavement that we left last year and catch up with the tribe.  Our water stop guru instructed me that if I needed the facilities I was to walk under the overpass on the main road.  On a rock was a roll of toilet paper.  If it was not there, someone was at the other side of the underpass visiting mother nature.  If it was there, it was my turn.  I passed. 

We headed into Pedernales State Park to set up for the last supper.  Greg had rented a circus tent and tables and chairs for the tribe to sit under and on.  We were blown away that the tent crew had that thing up in less than 1/2 an hour!  Some locals walked by and asked when the clowns would be arriving.  Someone commented, "look around, they're on bikes!"

We prepared the final dinner of honey spiced pork chops, salads and such and watched the tribe over indulge!  This was a tribe that could put away the chow.  The staff put together a great final map meeting, reviewing the local slang and teaching us all that y'all means everyone and all y'all means everyone plus some.  Then they presented awards and led the tribe in a rousing rendition of "let's go to Luckenbach Texas....but with a biker twist."  Our leader, Greg, donned his cowboy gear and spun a big yarn about bikers in Texas.  It was great fun.

Friday morning we bid farewell to our tribe...many new friends were made this week.  The tribe headed back to New Braunfels to find their way home.  We spent the day with our dishwasher/attorney friend Jim searching for a new chicken fried steak and exploring the Lynden B Johnson Ranch.  What an interesting piece of history.....in the six years that I have been working this tour it is the first time I was able to make time to visit.  If you're there, it's a must.  Just beware....the goats like tennis shoe laces.  

Well, another wonderful tour is over.  I can't believe how quickly they fly by.  And speaking of fly....I made my way back to Austin and flew home.  Yes, I abandoned Jack and made him drive the big yellow truck 4 days home.  Bad me.  I don't think I will get away with that ever again.

SOOOOOO:  those of you that have not signed up for a ride: the Gorge in June needs a pick me up in participants.  It is a great ride.  Leader Pete has made a couple of changes to ease it up a bit...and the weather should be awesome.  That said, hope to see you on another ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment